Thursday, March 9, 2017

mr. bings...

Business is business and I understand why Mr. Bings was sold and remodeled.  Unfortunately, the place has lost its soul.  It's sad, but that's just part of life in the Big City.

To be honest, I quit frequenting the joint several years before the new ownership. 
One reason, my friend Michael Chan, the long time bartender at Bings wasn't there as much as he used to be.   

And really, this post is about Michael.  

Can I tell you something or let me tell you something.  That's what Michael says when he wants to tell you something that's important to him.  

I had lost track of Michael for at least a few years. I was worried he was sick and even worse, I thought he might have passed. 

The other night after having a few Irish Coffees at the World Famous Buena Vista Cafe- I was hungry and I walked toward Chinatown to get something to eat.  It was late, about 2am.  There isn't very many places open in San Francisco, let alone Chinatown that are open that late. 

I stumbled upon a Vietnamese restaurant on Broadway called My Canh which I remembered closed late.   It appeared to closed, thus I was about to walk a few doors down to Sam's which was open and serves burgers & crappy pizza.   Then I hear someone yelling "Norm!"   It was Michael Chan. 

Man, I was happy to see him!   I said to him, I was going to Sam's since My Canh is closed.  He said, "No, no, I'll get you in."   Michael knows the people who run My Canh. 

Michael proceeded to order me a large bowl of pho and a raw beef dish in some type of red sauce.  Both hit the spot.   

We caught up while I was noshing on my pho and raw beef.  Michael is a traveling man- Asia, Europe, you name it.  

Then he kept telling he'll never forget my generosity.  I never even thought about it.  I don't like tooting my own horn, then again,  maybe I do...  perhaps in the past, I expected something in return- but I believe I evolved to give from my heart and that's it.  Giving gives me pleasure.  

Michael was kind enough to pay for my meal and an Uber ride back to my apartment.   

Michael Chan was always a kind and generous man and I'm very happy I ran into him at My Canh the other night.  

I rarely am out after 10pm, more like 9pm.  I enjoy being safe in the comfort of my home.  However, life is too short and precious and I need to venture out sometimes to see what this life has in store for me...

Thanks Michael! 







No comments: