Monday, December 29, 2014

jim Harbaugh...

I've lived in the Bay Area since 1978 with stints in Honolulu & Seattle(my hometown) sprinkled in those years.

I was never much of a Niners fan, although I saw "The Catch" live on television and it was one of most thrilling moments I've seen in sports in all my years. 

I witnessed how the York family basically destroyed a storied franchise that had won 5 Super Bowl titles from 1981 to 1994.  

Let's get to Jim Harbaugh.  He was a good QB in his NFL career.  I enjoyed watching him play because he had so much passion for the game.   Harbaugh as a player was a gamer, just like how he is as a head coach.  

During his NFL career Harbaugh helped his head coach father at Western Kemtucky with recruiting and I saw Harbaugh on the sidelines of the Division 1-AA Championship game when the Hilltoppers won in 2002. 

I was happy for Harbaugh's success at USD a Division 1(FCS) school.  When Harbaugh was hired at Stanford, I was skeptical.  He proved me wrong.  During his time on the Farm, I learned how quirky he is.  His run in with then USC coach Pete Carroll was legendary.  But it put Stanford back in the national limelight similar to when Jim Plunkett was the QB.  John Elway was a great Stanford QB, but quite frankly those teams weren't that good.  

When the Niners signed Harbaugh I was excited!  I knew Harbaugh would win with San Francisco.  And he did.  I went all-in and became a Niner fan.  

But the problem goes back to the Yorks. Terrible ownership usually doesn't win championships.  The Yorks were lucky to have Harbaugh as the coach for 4 seasons.   This last season was sabotaged by unnamed leaks to the media which were started by Punk Jeb York and Asshole GM Trent Baalke.  And injuries.  Plus the regression of Kaepernick.  And not believing in the great Frank Gore until it was the end of the season.  

As long as the Yorks own the team, I will not support the team by buying gear or setting foot in Levi's Stadium.  Santa Clara isn't San Francisco.  It's almost 50 miles south from my apartment in the City.  

In all my years living in San Francisco, I finally bought a 49ers cap.  A fitted one to fit my Bruce Boche sized noggin. 

I actually want to burn the cap.  But I won't.  

Never was a Michigan fan.  I was a Ohio State fan when Rex Kern was the QB under Woody Hayes.  

I know Harbaugh will do well with the Wolverines.  But I hope he returns to the NFL in about 4 years.  I want him to win a Super Bowl and hold up that Lombardi Trophy.  

Thank you Jim Harbaugh.  






No comments: