Saturday, January 17, 2009

toe to toe...


The first film I attended @ the 2009 Sundance Film Festival- my 12th straight year.

The story line is based loosely on two prep schools girls who come from divergent backgrounds who play lacrosse in the Washington D.C. area. One is black from the ghetto and the other is white- seemingly from an affluent background. The white actress reminds me of Kirsten Dunst.

The writer/director is female and she seemed thrilled to be @ Sundance debuting her film @ the cavernous Eccles Theater which is located @ Park City High School. When I say cavernous, Eccles seats over 1200.

Usually, I can tell whether I will like a movie when I hear the director speak before a screening. I wasn't impressed with the young lady. She said her film was about race relations. She mentioned black, white, and hispanic. No mention of Asian whatsoever and there was an Asian actor in her film. I really don't like when the term "hispanic" is used. I'm more comfortable using latin, latina, or latino.

Anyway, I sat through the whole film. I found it to be mediocre @ best... I haven't seen Leslie Uggams in anything since what seems like the eighties. She plays the lead black character's grandmother. The only other recognizable face in the cast is Ally Walker who is the white protagonist's mother.

If this films get picked up for release- I will be very surprised.

Also, watching the lacrosse scenes. I couldn't tell whether the actors were competent or not, because I know nothing about la crosse. Usually, when I watch a sports themed film, I can tell whether the actor is athletic and skilled.

I can't recommend this film...

No comments: