Thursday, November 4, 2010

sparky anderson...

The great baseball manager who led the Big Red Machine(Cincinnati Reds) to two World Series wins in 1975 and 1976. And in 1984 managed the Detroit Tigers to a World Series title.

Sparky always looked old for his age. In his late thirties, he looked about sixty...

I must admit, I was a big fan of the Big Red Machine led by Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Davey Concepcion, George Foster, Ken Griffey, and Johnny Bench.

I just read that Sparky Anderson is suffering from dementia and has been put in a hospice. Anderson is 76 years old.

I hate it when I hear hospice! In 1996, my Uncle Henry died within days after entering hospice care. And just last April, my Aunt Eloise passed away shortly after she was put in hospice status.

Baseball has always been a big part of my life and I want to honor Sparky Anderson...

Update: Sparky Anderson died shortly after I wrote this entry. May he rest in peace...

No comments: