Wednesday, October 19, 2011

tony la russa...

Up until 2006, when La Russa managed the Cardinals to a World Series title, I never respected La Russa, because I thought he should have won more World Series titles with the Oakland A's with their powerful lineup of Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco and great pitching with Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley. The A's were in the World Series three straight years from 1988-1990 with La Russa as the manager.  In 1989, the A's swepted the San Francisco Giants that was marred by the Loma Prieta earthquake.  I went to the game 4 of the 1990 World Series in Oakland, when the A's were swept by the Cincinnati Reds.

Now, the Cardinals are up 1-0 in the 2011 World Series and I'm really starting to respect La Russa as a great manager.  St. Louis may not beat the Texas Rangers, but I wouldn't bet against them...




No comments: