Sunday, February 14, 2010

the blind side...

I hesitated for as long as I could to view the film. I shouldn't let reviews taint my desire to see a movie, but I did...

Also, I'm such a football fan that I knew the story about Michael Oher who was the starting left tackle for the Baltimore Ravens this past season as their first round pick. Oher was actually a bargain @ the 23rd pick of the draft. He should have been drafted earlier...

Sports movies based on real life are tough to make. However, THE BLIND SIDE really surprised me. One point I must make is that real life college coaches were cast in the film to give it some authenticity. For example Nick Saban head coach of the National Championship team Alabama stepped back in time and portrayed himself as coach of LSU. Lou Holtz wore his South Carolina cap. Phil Fullmer who got fucked by Tennessee was back as the Volunteer's coach. And the guy who is known as a recruiting guru who ended up recruiting Oher for Ole Miss Ed Orgeron played himself. Orgeron is back @ USC after his head coaching stint @ Mississippi and a year @ Tennessee as an assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator/defensive line coach.

Sandra Bullock shined in the lead role. I definitely believe she will win the Oscar for Best Actress. Tim McGraw had an understated role in the film, but after I saw him in FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS- the son of pitcher Tug McGraw is a formidable actor who needs to act more. I was worried about the actor who portrayed Oher, but in a nuanced performance Quinton Aaron did quite well.

It is always great to watch a film that you have undervalued, but it ends up surprising the hell out of you...

No comments: