Saturday, May 16, 2009

andre ward...


Andre basically pitched a shutout over a tough and well conditioned Edison Miranda @ the Oracle Arena in Oakland.

I was sitting too far away to realize that Ward got head butted in the first round and was bleeding over his left eye throughout the fight.

Andre Ward is a skilled fighter who resorted to boxing southpaw @ times to keep Miranda off balance.

I don't like how Ward keeps his left hand down in his orthodox stance. And his punching power is suspect. This concerns me, because Ward hit Miranda with power punches on several occasions without coming close to a knockdown.

Ward definitely deserves a title shot.

The advertised $25 seats were gone by the time I got to the arena and I ended paying $52.50.

The second level wasn't used for the bout, but a pro-Ward crowd of nearly 8K showed up to watch their native son win unanimously over the trash talking Miranda.

The only person I recognized in the lobby was ex-Dukie and current Chicago Bull DeMarcus Nelson. Nelson also played for the Warriors early last season. DeMarcus is a Bay Area native.

No comments: