Monday, January 21, 2008

sugar...


The fourth film I've seen @ Sundance. I've been averaging only a film a day. That's weak! Especially for someone who comes to see movies, as opposed to partying...

SUGAR is a good film directed by the team who brought us HALF NELSON- Anna Bolden and Ryan Fleck. I saw the premiere showing @ the Racquet Club.

It has a minor league baseball story line which intrigued me. I think the film could be cut about 15 minutes. Two hours is much too long for a Sundance film. A couple of scenes are too cliche ridden for my taste. One being when a group of latin ballplayers order in a restaurant and they all have the same thing because they can't speak english. Another is after the protagonist has
a bad outing(he's a pitcher), he knocks over a water cooler. How many times has that been done in a film? Too many...

The cast is a bunch of unknowns. Alegenis Perez Soto who played the lead character "Sugar" was very good.

For baseball fans, former major league pitcher Jose Rijo has a small role and he's quite competent.

No comments: