Monday, June 1, 2009

departures/okuribito...


I was really looking forward to seeing this film...

I've been aware of the lead actor Masahiro Motoki since the early eighties when he was a teen idol in Japan.

Two films that I saw Motoki in the past ten plus years that he impressed me in are "Rampo" or "The Mystery of Rampo" which I saw @ the Hawaii International Film Festival when the films were actually free, which played @ the now defunct Marina Twin Theaters next to the near defunct Ilikai Hotel and "The Bird People of China" part of the San Francisco International Film Festival.

Masahiro Motoki was also in the original "Shall We Dance?"

Motoki's acting in "Okuribito" is nothing short of superb...

One of his costars in the film is Tsutomu Yamazaki who is best known for his starring role in "Tampopo"

What I got out of this film was how precious this life is. We need to eat to survive, but watching two scenes where the main characters ate food with such passion almost brought tears to my eyes. That fried chicken looked "umai!"

And accepting and appreciating loved ones for who they are...

No comments: