Friday, March 7, 2008

bob's steak & chop house...


I watched the tail end of the Stanford-UCLA game @ this joint and noshed on a Kobe Beef Burger with their smashed potatoes. It was OISHI. I ran into one of my only readers of this blog and his sister who are both investment bankers(different companies). They were taking a break from their 100 hour work week to cheer on their Bruins who BTW won in overtime. The brother/sister team are UCLA grads. Even a UDub guy like myself was pulling for UCLA. FYI- my niece graduated from that lovely school in Westwood... After the game ended after ten, the brother and sister went to back to their respective offices to put in some more hours. I'm too old, but there is no way in hell I could do that, even if I was twenty years younger! I give them props...

I want to address allegiances to college teams. I was born and raised in Seattle. University of Washington sports was the only game in town until the Supersonics debuted in 1967. I don't count the AAA Seattle Rainiers/Angels. I know the Sonics are a pro team, but please bear with me... Nearly every citizen in the Seattle area is a U-Dub fan, even to this day. I went to UW, so my love for the Huskies runs even deeper. But, I have lived in the Bay Area off and on for 30 years and I'm a CAL fan without even attending the school. And they are Washington's rival in the PAC 10(I'm so old that when I attended UW, it was the PAC 8). Of course, I will always pull for my Huskies over the Bears.

I'm also a University of Hawaii fan from living there for several years and having Hawaiian roots- my father was born and raised in HNL and my parents both retired in Honolulu. For a year or so, I was a member of the Alumni Association of UH and I didn't even attend the school.

Some people and they know who they are argue that your allegiance must be to where you got your undergraduate degree. I don't buy it! My nephew went to UC San Diego, Tufts and now he's @ Columbia- there is no way in hell he can pull for teams @ the fine academic institutions he's attended. My sis who went to UDub and her husband who attended Washington State now pull for UCLA because their daughter went there.

It all boils down to- root for whoever you want to root for. I know many of the big money benefactors of athletic programs throughout the country never attended the school they're throwing money to...

And what if you never attended college in the first place? A buddy of mine who I grew up with in Seattle is a big UW fan, like nearly everyone in the Emerald City and he never went to UDub. I won't diminish his love for the Dawgs...

A man can love many women in his life... I will always love UW, but I also love UH and CAL...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think between the Warriors and Bruins, I am almost ready for the hoops season to end -- its taking years off my life.

ny said...

Your job is taking years off your life... Feel lucky that you went to a school that has won so many championships and has been in the Final Four two years running with a great chance of going for three.

I knew the Warriors would lose to the Bobcats the other night. Will the Rockets ever lose a fucking game?

Unknown said...

Rockets will never lose...I plan on going o SCLA tonigh around 5 and just ride the bike and watch the Heat game...we better win that one.

ny said...

I was in nirvana @ Mr.... I had a slice a pizza and two Red Stripes for $6 and I tipped $4... I basically had my own private screen watching the Warriors just kill the Heat! Free wifi, beautiful girls, and Fox Sports Bay Area on the tube. It doesn't get better than that...