Thursday, March 20, 2008

only the brave...


I wanted to see this film for quite some time- me and a buddy chose a CAL basketball game over a screening in Alameda on March 1st, then again it was against my Huskies(who lost in that no-nothing third tier tournament last night) and we got free tix.

I was impressed with the movie. Lane Nishikawa did a great job of directing, acting, writing, and producing. This film is a tribute to the Japanese-American soldiers who fought in WWII with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. And the 100th Battalion. In reality, any soldier who has fought for this country... This film has the longest credits I've ever seen in my life! The credits acknowledged the brave soldiers and I can understand why Lane chose to run it that way...

ONLY THE BRAVE was screened @ the historic Hawaii Theatre- a fantastic venue for this film. I was astounded to see a line wrapped around two blocks waiting to see the movie... The theatre seats about 1000 and it was nearly full.

I bought a DVD after the film and got it signed by Nishikawa, Greg Watanabe(he was excellent in a CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM as Yoshi in the Kamikaze Bingo episode), and Jason Scott Lee(DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY).

Some other notable cast members are Mark Dacascos who's on Iron Chef America as the Chairman, Yuji Okumoto -THE KARATE KID 2, and Jeff Fahey who's probably best known for LAWNMOWER MAN. Oh, and Tamlyn Tomita who I've never liked as an actress, but she is a working Asian American actor...

If you have a chance- check this film out if there's a screening near you or buy the DVD. One more thing, I must mention that the late, great Pat Morita had a small role in ONLY THE BRAVE...

No comments: