Thursday, February 21, 2008

nba trade deadline...


The big trade involved the Cavs which traded El Cerrito High's Drew Gooden, ex-Warrior Larry Hughes, Shannon Brown, and Cedric Simmons to the Bulls for Ben Wallace and another ex-Warrior Joe Smith. The Cavaliers also got Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West from Seattle who received Ira Newble and another ex-Warrior Donyell Marshall from Cleveland. The Cavs also obtain the Bulls 2nd round pick in 2009 and to complete the 11 man, three team trade, the Sonics acquire Adrian Griffin from the Bulls.

This trade immediately benefits the Cleveland giving the Cavs an inside rebounding and defensive presence with Ben Wallace, although Wallace may be on the downside of his career. Joe Smith has surprised me this season and will help Cleveland. I'm not a big Szczerbiak fan, but the guy can shoot the three and open up the court for LeBron. Delonte West will also help the Cavaliers. He's a combo guard who may thrive in Mike Brown's system...

It looks like the Sonics have relegated themselves to moving to Oklahoma City which will sadden me, because I'm from Seattle and the Sonics are the first major professional franchise in the Emerald City. I grew up pulling for Lenny Wilkins and Spencer Haywood. The boy GM of Seattle appears to have opened up a bunch of salary cap room in the future for the Oklahoma City Sonics to build around Kevin Durant and Jeff Green. I will predict that ex-Warrior coach P.J. Carlesimo will not last past next season...

The Bulls didn't improve themselves with the much traveled Gooden and Hughes. I think Chicago just wanted to get rid of Wallace with his large contract and start anew. Gooden does reunite with ex-Kansas teammate Kirk Hinrich. The Bulls were as of last season an up and coming beast in the East and now they're a team without an identity... yet Chicago is only two games out of the playoffs with a 21-32 record.

The Warriors would have the third best record in the East with their 33-21 record, but in reality they are 1/2 game behind Denver for the eighth and final playoff berth. 50 wins may not be enough to get into the playoffs in the West...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Delonte is from St. Joe's...played with Jameer...i like the blog...keeps me entertained while I work 100 hrs a week...

ny said...

Thanks man! I'll edit my fuckup...

Unknown said...

Seriously your blog entries are amusing. At times odd, but I expect that from you...UCLA to the FInal 4 baby!

ny said...

You hit it right on the button- sure I can be an odd dude, but I'm entertaining...

If your Bruins don't make the Final Four- I'll be very disappointed!